Communications Portfolio Manager
Insight Systems Corporation is seeking a Communications Portfolio Manager to support activities of the USAID Feed the Future Knowledge-Driven Agricultural Development (KDAD) Project. KDAD promotes effective, innovative knowledge management, strategic communications, and training services to further agricultural development, food security, enterprise promotion, and poverty reduction.
The Communications Portfolio Manager plays an integral part in developing strategy and coordinating a team of communication specialists that support activities for the KDAD Project.
The candidate must possess a high level of organizational and management skills, backed by broad communications experience as well as a deep understanding of and experience in assessing communication needs and developing strategies to support international development efforts. Knowledge of international development is essential, as is the ability to work in a fast-paced environment. The Communications Portfolio Manager is part of the KDAD management team and works closely with USAID clients, short-term technical assistance contractors, service providers and others.
The Communications Portfolio Manager provides direction to communications specialists in developing and implementing communications/marketing/branding strategies for activities of the Bureau for Food Security; the Office of Policy, Planning & Learning; Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment; and the Bureau for Economic Growth, Education, and Environment.
The Communications Portfolio Manager works directly with USAID staff and with KDAD portfolio managers in six areas: Knowledge Management, Assessing & Learning, Training, Web Strategies, Events & Operations, and Communications. The communications team produces a wide variety of products and coordinates activities including, but not limited to the development of communication strategies and marketing plans, website and content management strategies, reports, blogs, case studies, articles and fact sheets, multimedia presentations and video productions. The team is also responsible for event planning and coordination.
Key competencies include: time and budget management, communications and public relations expertise, experience with new media and digital communications products, collaboration and interpersonal skills, and experience in writing and editing, graphic design and production, web, video and social media.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Direct and manage the communications team.
- Develop short and long-term communication strategies and implementation plans to further the work of the KDAD project and respond to the needs of USAID clients.
- Review and approve communications products.
- Maintain adherence to branding and style guidelines produced by the team and other KDAD staff and consultants.
- Represent the KDAD project at various business and social events.
- Participate as an engaged member of the KDAD management team.
- Track and report progress of the communications team and the KDAD project. Prepare monthly roundups of communications activities for the full KDAD monthly report.
- Evaluate communication strategies and outcomes to inform future efforts across programs.
- Collaborate and work closely with USAID clients, consultants, vendors and others.
- Manage the communications budget and work with the Chief and Deputy Chief of Party to maintain budget integrity.
- Develop annual and semiannual work plans.
- The KDAD Communications Portfolio Manager will possess the technical leadership, capability and experience to be able to provide vision, direction, and leadership to support the communications component of the KDAD contract.
- Demonstrated experience in the development, design and execution of integrated communications and marketing campaigns, especially those that pertain to community building. The candidate should be able to demonstrate success with quantitative results.
- The candidate shall have at least 10 years of progressively responsible work experience in communications, public relations or marketing. No less than five of those years should be in management positions.
- The KDAD Communications Portfolio Manager must be detail oriented and have strong written and oral presentation skills. Exceptional organizational and interpersonal abilities are a must. The candidate should be experienced and comfortable providing guidance and working with a range of communication tools across all media.
- The candidate should have familiarity with emerging communications tools and experience with the Adobe Creative Suite.
- Approval to work in the United States.
About Insight Systems Corporation
Insight Systems Corporation is an 8(a) Washington DC-based solutions company that seeks strategic results for the business and information technology missions of its partners: information-intensive enterprises, government agencies and commercial organizations. The Insight team is expert in the "nuts and bolts" of technology, with a focus on using technology as a business tool. Our staff solve real business problems related to knowledge management and technical consulting, and provide a range of services including informational analysis, program management, and information infrastructure services.
The KDAD project is responsible for developing and managing communications, knowledge sharing tools and learning communities for agricultural development and food security (www.agrilinks.org, www.feedthefuture.gov), inclusive market development (www.microlinks.org), Women’s Leadership in Small and Medium Enterprises (www.wlsme.org) and Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment.
How to Apply
Interested candidates, please submit your resume, salary requirements and cover letter online. For questions, please contact email@example.com.
No phone calls please. Only finalists will be contacted.
Salary commensurate with experience.